Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Thursday, November 13, 2008
1. Who was Tom Riddle Sr.'s girlfriend before Merope gave him the love potion?
2. What does Luna say floated into Harry's ear when he was in the train car that supposedly caused him to lose focus?
3. How much do the primary Apparition lessons cost?
d. 12 galleons
4. What is Professor Merrythought's first name?
5. What Hogwarts club was Eileen Prince captain of?
b. Gobstones Club
6. Who is head of the Goblin Liaison office?
b. Dirk Cresswell
7. Mrs. Weasley offers Fleur a goblin-made tiara for the wedding with Bill. What family member is currently in possession of the tiara?
a. Aunt Muriel
8. How many points does Snape take from Gryffindor for Harry's late arrival and muggle attire?
9. When Profressory Slughorn first meets Hermione, he asks her whether she is related to Hector Dagworth-Granger. What society did Dgworth-Granger found?
d. The Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers
10. Which of these describes Golpalott's Third Law?
d. The antidote for a blended poison will be equal to more than the sum of the antidotes for each of the separate components
Friday, October 31, 2008
Monday, October 20, 2008
Most of last week was spent in the kitchen and so not much else was accomplished. This week the Cambridge Jacket needs to be blocked and sewn together. Must also keep an eye on swap deadlines.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
What drink does Romilda Vane try to give Harry? a. Gillywater
What is the name of the person who heads the Holyhead Harpies? b. Gwenog Jones
How many ‘Exceeds Expectation’ grades does Harry receive in his O.W.L’s? c. 5
What is Professor Sughorn’s favorite candy? d. Crystallized Pineapple
What tattoo is Harry reported to have on his chest? c. Hippogriff
What color robes do the staff at the Weasley’s shop wear? b. Magenta
What is the man outside Flourish and Blotts selling? a. Amulets
How much is the skull, which Hermione enquires about at Borgin and Burkes, worth? c. 16 Galleons
What are Professor Slughorn’s initials? b. H.E.F.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Harry's first encounter with Tom Riddle's diary gives insight to Voldermort's formative years. His parent's loveless marriage, his mother manipulating his father and the father's eventual abandonment are disclosed. It is also the chapter in which two future horcruxes - Slytherin's locket and the Peverell ring - are introduced. Now off to work on my kit......
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Yes, about a size 9W. Length: 9.25 inches Around: 9-9.25
Do you have a yarn winder and/or a swift? Both
Where/how to you keep you needles/hooks? Worm binder, really.
Do you collect anything? Does dust count? Not really, although I do have hundreds of cookbooks.
What is your favorite type of music? Are you MP3 ready?
No favorite kind of music and I own an iPod
Do you like sweets? What are your favorites?
Yes, although I'm trying to keep it to dark chocolate these days.
What is your living situation like? Any pets? Children?
Live with a friend. No pets. No children.
Do you have an online wish list (Amazon, Etsy, Loopy Ewe, etc.)? Please include links for your swap pal. I will set up an Etsy wish list and update this post when I do.
Favorite Harry Potter movie character? Don't have one.
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
c. Emmeline Vance
2. What animal does Bellatrix Lestrange kill when she and her sister, Narcissa, are going to see Professor Snape?
3. What time does Professor Dumbledore collect Harry from Privet Drive?
b. 11 p.m.
4. What did Professor Sluhorn transform into when he was trying to hide from Harry and Professor Dumbledore?
a. An armchair
5. What grade did Harry get for Herbology?
a. E – Exceeds Expectation
6. Herbert Chorley, the Prime Minister’s Junior Minster, has been entertaining the public by impersonating which animal?
b. A duck
7. What is Professor Sprout’s first name?
8. What is Dumbledore’s idea of ‘a few words’?
d. nitwit, oddment, blubber and tweak
9. Who is Marcus Belby’s famous uncle?
10. What is Snape’s mother’s name?
b. Eileen Prince
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Rav ID: CarmaFrancie
I am allergic to: nothing (maybe the metal nickel)
Pets that I have: none currently
My favorite yarn: Really? The one I just discovered - whatever that happens to be.
If you are a Ravenclaw, do you prefer the film colors or the book colors?
I was before I realized that yes, in fact, I am the center of the universe and went Slytherin.
My favorite flavor: too hard to call. Good coffee, dark chocolate, grapefruit (citrus in general), ginger and clove.
My favorite holiday: Thanksgiving
I would like to receive a scarf kit, I think, but am open to bag.
List your favorite brand of needles or hooks, including size and length: I really have all the knitting needles I need, but would love to get more Addi crochet hooks. The only one I have is 5,5 (US I) BTW, the scarf does not need to be a crochet pattern.
Is there a brand that you are dying to try?: See above.
I’ve participated in HSKS: this is #3
Do you have a birthday during this swap? No
Saturday, September 13, 2008
2. How long have you been at your craft?
Crochet since childhood (and I'm NOT being more specific). Knitting for about 3 years.
3. Do you spin?
I have a Turkish drop spindle, but have not learned how to use it!
4. What type of spinning do you do (drop spindle or wheel)?
5. Are there any other crafts that you participate in? The only thing I can think of that I haven't done is tatting. Quilting, sewing, and textile design/dyeing are probably my strongest craftastic skills.
6. What are your favorite yarns/fibers?
Wool, bamboo, linen and hemp.
7. What are your LEAST favorite yarns/fibers?
Acrylics and wools that are very course and fuzzy.
8. Are there any types/brands of yarn that you are dying to work with but haven’t gotten a chance? Not that I can think of.
9. What are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet? bags and small accessories like mittens, scarves and hats.
10. What are you currently working on?
I still need to finish lining my Doctor's Bag. Just ordered yarn to start the Cambridge Jacket for a Christmas present.
11. Anything you plan to start this autumn?
Afore mentioned jacket. Lots of presents and swap related stuff.
12. What is your favorite Finished Object? The Jughead Hat I made for a friend. Not because it was the fanciest or best yarn, but because it was so perfectly him and he loved it.
13. Are their any knitting/crochet techniques that you would like to learn? Two hand stranded knitting.
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Your result for The Harry Potter Husband Test...
Mrs. Bill Weasley
Your perfect HP man is Bill Weasley.
You like guys who are cool. And not cool in that fake, dicky way, but actually cool. He's so cool that they couldn't find any actor to adequately portray him, so they decided to just leave him out of the movies rather than risk not doing justice to his coolness. He's like the Chuck Norris of Harry Potter: plain freaking awesome. When Voldemort says "You-Know-Who", he's talking about Bill Weasley.
(Fanarty by The Starhorse http://the-starhorse.deviantart.com/ Used with permission.)
What a loverly surprise I received today. Two packages swooped into the Cafe late this afternoon and one of them was this beautious hank of yarn I won for the kit I assembled for HSKS5. A sweet treat and very lovely card accompanied. What was in the other package? Well that's a surprise for someone at Hogwarts, so I'm not tellin'.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
I've been thinking a bit about my, as yet unassigned, swap partner. The last two swaps I've had a Ravenclaw. This time I'm hoping for a 'Puff. It would bee fun to sting someone with little surprises and set them buzzing.......
Friday, July 25, 2008
For which I was awarded a Level Three MacGyver Knitting Scout badge by fellow Ravalier Telcontar.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
1. When Hagrid returns to Hogwarts after being sent to see the giants with Madame Maxime, Professor Umbridge questions him on his late return to school. She suspects that Hagrid had been to the mountains, but where does he tell her he has been?
d. South of France
2. Professor Umbridge comes to Hagrid's Hut and searches his cabin one evening (as she believes Harry, Ron and Hermione are there visiting him at night when they are not supposed to). When she walks past the place where Harry, Ron and Hermione are hiding under the Invisibility Cloak, Harry holds his breath. True or false?
3. A stately-looking witch in an emerald green shawl is one of the members of the Advance Guard who rescues Harry from Privet Drive. What is her name?
a. Emmeline Vance
4. What is the name of the witch who was killed two weeks after the photo of the original Order of the Phoenix was taken?
b. Marlene McKinnon
5. Which two fifth year Ravenclaw students does Dumbledore choose to be prefects?
d. Anthony Goldstein and Padma Patil
6. Which house was Rose Zeller sorted into?
7. What is the color of Murtlap's essence?
8. Name the Ravenclaw girl who became prefect in Harry's fifth year.
b. Padma Patil
9. According to a healer's portrait at St. Mungo's hospital, which disease was Ron suffering from?
10. Which book did Harry give Hermione for Christmas?
a. "New Theory of Numberology"
Bonus point: What movie will Robert Patterson (Pattinson?) star in this December?
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Saturday, June 28, 2008
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
1. At the beginning of the year feast, who is the only person who rudely interrupts Dumbledore during his speech?
b. Professor Umbridge
2. Off what street is the alley where Harry first met Sirius?
b. Little Whinging
3. Tonks’ mother had two sisters, both pure-bloods, and both left on the Black Family Tree. What are their names?
c. Narcissa and Bellatrix
4. What spell are the students studying in McGonalgall’s class when Umbrdige is doing her inspection?
d. The Vanishing Spell
5. Who comes to warn Harry and the rest of Dumbledore’s Army that Umbridge and her group of followers are coming to break up their meeting?
6. Who are the members of the Order that met Harry Potter in the Dursely’s house during the summer before his fifth year?
c. Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Remus Lupin, Emmeline Vance, Sturgis Podmore, Hestia Jones
7. Moody used the Disillusionment Charm on Harry.
8. Which of these Death Eaters is Sirius related to?
d. All of these
9. At what age did Sirius leave his home?
10. How many of the original Order members were killed (don’t include those who disappeared)?
Monday, June 16, 2008
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
MCAD, The Children's Theater Company and the Minneapolis Institute of Art form an aesthetic triangle on the south side of town and the MIA stoop seemed a good place to have a quiet smoke. As I finished, dawn began to arrive. A soft pink glow infused the vapor as I turned the corner. Standing quit clearly in front of the Children's Theatre was a unicorn. Looking at me as I looked at him, clearly neither of us expecting the other. I was to find this small, cream colored beast was know to his friends as Lancelot. A single, straight horn grew from above his brow ridge directly in the center of his forehead. His companion (whose name is lost to time) informed me they had arrived earlier than expected to an event being held at the Theatre. After hanging out for a bit on a grassy bit of lawn, the man went over to the motel for a cup of coffee and Lancelot and I shared a cigarette. Of course I smoked mine; he ate his.
After going home and getting some sleep, I awoke wondering if the chance meeting could have been a dream. It seemed almost certainly a product of paint fumes and exhaustion. Until I opened my Camel's and found one single, wavy, golden, wiry hair.
Monday, June 2, 2008
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
1. Which of Arabella Figg's cats ran out from under the car?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of Albus Dumbledore's middle names?
3. Which educational decree introduced a High Inquisitor to Hogwarts?
4. Apart from Harry, Ron and Hermione, who was the first person to enter the Hog's Head that showed an interest in Harry's Defence Against the Dark Arts classes?
5. In the first Quidditch match of the year which player attempted to score first?
6. What kind of bush does Harry hide behind to listen to the news?
A hydrangea bush
7. Why is Mundungus Fletcher disguised as a woman when he witnesses the DA (Dumbledore's Army) meeting in the Hog's Head pub?
He was banned from the Hog’s Head pub 20 years ago.
8. When Harry and Cho go on their first date to Madam Puddifoot's in Hogsmeade, what is it decorated with for Valentine's Day?
Golden cherubs and pink confetti
9. How old is Sturgis Podmore and where does he live?
38 and number 2 Laburnum Gardens Clapham
10. What did Fred and George Weasley do to Montague?
Forced him head-first into a Vanishing Cabinet on the first floor.
Sunday, May 25, 2008
So my friend muggle friend Neville and I are going to learn how to knit, right? So we go to the LYS and I buy a lovely skein of Manos, a ball of black mohair and a bee-u-tiful pair of Lantern Moon US #17 needles. Before I had gotten 8 inches, Neville was finished! So I took what remained of his primarily red Manos and incorporated it into my scarf as a stripe! I knew I wanted a long scarf...... Well, I ran out of the black Manos and got another ball. THEN I ran out of the mohair and got another ball. THEN I ran out of Manos AGAIN! Got another ball. Notice a pattern? Same problem with cheese and crackers! Anyway, I got my long scarf (better than ten feet!) - and here are pictures to prove it!
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
2. Who was portrayed in the picture that kept screaming in the headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix?
Sirius' mother, Walburga
3. Who was giving Hagrid all of those bruises and cuts?
His half brother Grawp
4. Who left his shift early, leaving Harry open to a dementor attack?
5. What was the name of the Squib who came to Harry's side after the attack?
6. What position was Percy promoted to that made him have a 'row' with Mr. Weasley?
Jr. Asst. to the Minister
7. What secret does Hermione know about Rita Skeeter?
She is an animagus
8. Name one person other than Sirius Black who was scratched off of the Family tree wall?
Cedrella, who 'married Septimus Weasley'. She was struck off just for marrying a blood traitor Weasley.
9. Who discovers the room of requirement?
Someone in need of it.
10. Where is the first DA meeting held?
Hog's Head Inn
Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Sunday, May 18, 2008
What Carma Means
You are very open. You communicate well, and you connect with other people easily.
You are a naturally creative person. Ideas just flow from your mind.
A true chameleon, you are many things at different points in your life. You are very adaptable.
You are usually the best at everything ... you strive for perfection.
You are confident, authoritative, and aggressive.
You have the classic "Type A" personality.
You are wild, crazy, and a huge rebel. You're always up to something.
You have a ton of energy, and most people can't handle you. You're very intense.
You definitely are a handful, and you're likely to get in trouble. But your kind of trouble is a lot of fun.
You are confident, self assured, and capable. You are not easily intimidated.
You master any and all skills easily. You don't have to work hard for what you want.
You make your life out to be exactly how you want it. And you'll knock down anyone who gets in your way!
You are truly an original person. You have amazing ideas, and the power to carry them out.
Success comes rather easily for you... especially in business and academia.
Some people find you to be selfish and a bit overbearing. You're a strong person.
You are relaxed, chill, and very likely to go with the flow.
You are light hearted and accepting. You don't get worked up easily.
Well adjusted and incredibly happy, many people wonder what your secret to life is.
You are a seeker. You often find yourself restless - and you have a lot of questions about life.
You tend to travel often, to fairly random locations. You're most comfortable when you're far away from home.
You are quite passionate and easily tempted. Your impulses sometimes get you into trouble.
You are friendly, charming, and warm. You get along with almost everyone.
You work hard not to rock the boat. Your easy going attitude brings people together.
At times, you can be a little flaky and irresponsible. But for the important things, you pull it together.
You are very intuitive and wise. You understand the world better than most people.
You also have a very active imagination. You often get carried away with your thoughts.
You are prone to a little paranoia and jealousy. You sometimes go overboard in interpreting signals.